The wellness program is designed to help educate and support patients and their families coping with many chronic diseases, such as congestive heart failure, diabetes, asthma and COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). Knowledge is power. By forging partnerships with patients and their families we can effectively initiate successful interventions to maintain the highest level of wellness. We will engage you as an active participant in your healthcare. Through education and support you will have the confidence and tools to help manage your illness along with your healthcare team. You will have the ability to recognize changes in your health status and respond immediately, ensuring early intervention and a healthier outcome.
Individual clinic sessions with the nurse practitioner in order to:
- assess your health status and monitor the effectiveness of your care
- educate you about your disease and the management of it
- answer questions
- address issues or concerns
- screen for common problems and complications
- Group seminars addressing common problems, pertinent topics, as well as an ability to learn and gain support from fellow patients living with the same chronic disease.
- Educational materials
- Management tools, including peak flow meters, spacers, scales and glucometers, and instruction on their proper use
- Coordination of your care by fostering communication between all the healthcare team members
- Increase your knowledge and skills to maintain your highest level of wellness
- Improve your quality of life
- Minimize the complications of your disease through prevention, screening and early intervention
- Keep you healthy at home with your family and out of hospitals and emergency rooms
- Improving/maintaining your access to information, care and support
- High quality care that meets/exceeds current clinical guidelines specific to your disease
- Improve patient satisfaction
- Healthcare members continue to work as a team to provide you with the very best care, ensuring optimum health
Healthcare Team Members and Their Roles
Kathleen Cumming, ANP (Nurse Practitioner), Laura Bondlow, PA-C (Physician Assistant) and Molly Mazanec, NP (Nurse Practitioner) are committed to helping patients achieve their optimum health through education, close monitoring and support.
Your Primary Care Physician
Your doctor will remain and important resource for your general health and annual physical. He/she will be kept apprised of your status, and any current issues or concerns being addressed.
Our dieticians, Emily Dionne and Esther Kim can help guide you through the nutritional maze. They can individualize food choice to your likes and dislikes while helping you maintain your goals and health.
Other specialists are important team members for maintaining your health and will play a role in diagnosing, screening for and treating complications, as well as general support.
How Do I Become Involved?
Your doctor will refer you to the program. Ask him/her about it and express interest in enrollment. You will then be set up with a consultation at your convenience.
Future Initiatives to Look For
Current information about your disease and how to stay healthy articles to be found on our website, on our bulletin board at SSMC, and at ongoing educational seminars.
South Shore Medical offers a pediatric weight management program.
Read more at ShapeYourFuture.org.
Shape Your Future is also on Facebook.
The Wellness Department at 781-261-4426 or email email@example.com for questions, concerns or feedback.